To subscribe to the bulletin, please email Katherine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSLA's Response to COVID-19
The CSLA and the Congress Planning Committee are currently planning for multiple contingencies for the CSLA-AALA Congress in Calgary in June. At the moment, the CSLA and AALA will proceed with the Congress. However, we are monitoring the situation closely and are staying up to date. We will continue to stay informed, research options and ensure we are taking steps to mitigate risks and are following the recommendations of public health organizations.
An announcement was made in Alberta recently recommending the cancellation of all upcoming public events with participation of more than 250 people. We are currently assessing whether the Congress will be affected by these directives as the event is planned for the end of June.
Please know that we are evaluating the COVID-19 situation daily and will adjust based on additional feedback from our research and the meeting destination and venue.
Should the Congress eventually require cancellation, we will issue refunds on registration fees.
- CSLA Recognition Awards - Community Service, Lifetime Achievement, Teaching, Emerging Professionals and Schwabenbauer (for service to the CSLA). The deadline is April 17th, 2020 at 4pm EDT.
- Governor General's Medal in Landscape Architecture - The deadline is April 17th, 2020 at 4pm EDT.
CSLA Calls for Nominations for the 2020 Recognition Awards
- Schwabenbauer Award for service to the CSLA
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Community Service Award
- Teaching Award
- Emerging Professional Award
The deadline for submissions is April 17, 2020.
Due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on staff and resources, the launch of the second edition of the CLS will be postponed until further notice.
Stay tuned for more information on how to order fully revised and enhanced second edition of the Canadian Landscape Standard.
Please contact Katherine at email@example.com with any questions you might have.
2021 Congress - Call for Volunteers
The CSLA is calling for 5-8 volunteers to work alongside the CSLA staff to form the Congress Tours and Field Trips Committee with the objective of programming an interesting series of visits for the Congress delegates.
How much time is involved?
Starting in the summer of 2020, with monthly 1 hour long conference calls until April 2021.
What is the job description?
- Propose interesting theme-relevant tours or field trips for the delegates
- Write tour descriptions and source photos to promote the tours
- Lead the tours, or identify appropriate guides during the event
- Identify transportation requirements
How do I apply?
Contact Michelle Legault, CSLA Executive Director, to let her know of your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 30th, 2020
Summary of Decisions during the CSLA's March Board Meeting and General Updates of Interest
- The CSLA was participated in a trade show on March 5th which would be attended by 800 Indigenous students, and the objective was to introduce the profession
- The Awards of Excellence results will be announced on March 18th via a press release link to the awards atlas
- The English second edition of the CLS will be ready March 17th and distributed to all members
- The College of Fellows jury meeting will be held at the end of March, and the Fellows-Elect will be announced by the end of April.
- Congress agreement to host the 2024 Congress with MALA in Winnipeg was approved
- Jane Welsh, OALA, CSLA, was approved as incoming Chair of the Committee on Climate Adaptation
The Land Special Issue - Call for papers on address the synergies between academic programmes and professional organisations
The Land Special Issue invites papers that discuss and present perspectives from both academia and professional practice in landscape architecture which address the synergies between academic programmes and professional organisations. We aim for this Special Issue to critically look at existing system barriers and opportunities afforded by educational standards and assessment of landscape architecture programmes and to explore strategies required to promote a better collaboration between education institutions and professional bodies in terms of landscape design, planning, conservation and management.
Landscapes | Paysages Magazine - Call for submissions
We are searching for personal reflections, anecdotes, and stories from your own collaborations -- successful or even less so -- to curate into an issue on Collaborating for the Future. Preference will be given to illustrated short pieces (300 - 500 words or so) that showcase the tangible, transformative power of working together. Whether unexpected, insightful, reflective, experimental, demanding, whimsical, mischievous, or downright out of control, share those experiences with us.
2020 IFLA Europe Student and Young Professionals Competition: 'Footprints in Landscape"
We are facing the effects that climate change and catastrophic warming of the Earth have on our environment. How can landscape architects respond? What solutions do we have? And must we improve the knowledge of landscape architects?