- Submit your proxy form for the Annual General Meeting: The CSLA's Annual General Meeting will be held on May 8th in Vancouver. If you are unable to attend, please submit your proxy voting form. Learn more..
- Endorse the Canadian Landscape Charter! Add your name to the list of signatories of the Canadian Landscape Charter by adding your endorsement, and learn about other ways you can support the Charter. Learn more...
Maurice Nelischer to Receive the CSLA 2019 Teaching Award
The CSLA Teaching Award recognizes an individual who has made a substantial and significant contribution to landscape architecture education.
The award will be given during the 2019 CSLA Awards gala.
CSLA Congress and CSLA-BCSLA Showcase
Acknowledgement, Awareness and Engagement – Landscape Architecture and Reconciliation
May 7-8, 2019, at the Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, followed by the BC Land Summit
CLICK HERE to register and to learn more about keynote speakers Julian Napoleon, Grand Chief Stewart Philip and Wanda Calla Costa
April is World Landscape Architecture Month
How will you celebrate?
- Enter the CSLA's Video Competition
- Circulate the poster entitled Top 10 Reasons Landscape Architecture Can Save the World
- Attach the WLAM Logo to your email signature or post it as your profile
- Ask your municipality to proclaim a day for landscape architecture: Template letter asking a mayor to proclaim landscape architecture day
- Endorse the Canadian Landscape Charter
Centennial Park Design Competition - Spring 2019
The Vimy Foundation has announced a Canadian student design competition by an individual or team, for a water feature for the Vimy Foundation Centennial Park, Vimy Ridge, France. This element is proposed to be unveiled in 2020.
Submission Deadline: June 12, 2019
News and Resources from the CSLA's Committee on Climate Adaptation
Colleen Mercer Clarke Featured on CBC's The Current
Colleen Mercer Clarke, Chair of the CSLA's Committee on Climate Adaptation, was interviewed by CBC's The Current.
Climate's Changing: How will YOU respond?
Read the Committee on Climate Adaptation's helpful tool entitled Nine Steps to Help you Plan and Design for the New Climate
Ten years. Is it enough time to change societal behaviour, to change our behaviour as landscape architects, to make the move to low carbon in our projects, in our designs? There’s hope out there, but we can do more, as we uncover in this Spring 2019 issue of LANDSCAPES I PAYSAGES.
Adaptation Primers Available as a Free Download from the CSLA Website
The Primers are divided into four manuals:
- Primer One summarizes current science on climate change, and what it means for Canada.
- Primer Two focuses on framing policy and planning approaches to mitigation and adaptation with special emphasis on building resilience, designing for positive transformation, and ensuring sustainability in ecosystems and societies.
- Primer Three provides an overview of the opportunities to create resilient communities that enhance public well-being, integrate nature, and ensure a prosperous future.
- Primer Four focuses on the options for response to rising waters, ranging from persisting in place to migration to better circumstances.
With sadness we report that Ismet T. Olcay, passed away peacefully at the age of 95 in New Westminster on March 16, 2019. He was a professional Landscape Architect, who had a stellar career, working in various levels of government in park planning and design including Coquitlam (1963-64) National Parks (1964-67), Provincial Parks in Ontario (1967-1979) and BC (1979-1984).
He was proud to have been on the Canadian contingent to IFLA congress numerous times and also helped organize a conference for IFLA in Victoria BC.
LACF announces the 2019 Grant Award winners! Learn more...
The 2018 Donors list recognizes our generous supporters and reveals the total amount donated to LACF in 2018. Pretty amazing! Learn more...
Donate now and become a member of LACF by making a gift of $100 or more. Help support our mission of advancing and promoting the values of the profession of Landscape Architecture through research, communication and scholarship. Donate now...
International Federation of Landscape Architects News
NLA, the Norwegian Association of Landscape Architects is hosting the 56th IFLA World Congress, Common Ground in Oslo. This year’s vision for the IFLA World Congress, “Common Ground,” addresses a vast theme including changes to the Earth due to climate change and population growth. The theme both affects our physical surroundings and how to develop and manage our common ground sustainably.
The MIT Press Offers CSLA Members a Generous Discount
The MIT Press is offering CSLA members a 30% discount on all titles in the landscape architecture list ordered directly from their website at https://mitpress.mit.edu/. The discount code is MCSLA30 - it can be used more than once and for multiple titles, is good for both print and e-editions, and will not expire. Learn more about John R. Stilgoe's What is Landscape?
CSLA Members Save Insurance Costs Through Mumby Insurance Inc.
Mumby's disability insurance plan is much more affordable than other plans and members benefit from up to 60% off on group home and auto.
Business Insurance: Affordable, comprehensive insurance that gives your firm peace-of-mind protection: Office Contents, Professional Liability, Directors and Officers, and Cyber.
Group Insurance Benefits: Our exclusive plans offers unbeatable coverage and savings of 10 to 20% or more! Plans available for firms ranging in size from 1 to 300 employees with valuable educational content included at no extra cost.
Automobile & Home Insurance Plans: VIP service for your car, home, and other personal insurance needs.
Individual Health Coverage: Being without comprehensive health care coverage isn’t a risk you should take. Individual and dental plans protect you and your family at an affordable price.
Individual & Corporate Life Insurance: We have products to suit your specific needs for Buy/Sell Funding, Key Person, Estate Preservation, Mortgage Insurance and MORE! As independent brokers, we search the market to ensure you get the best combination of product and pricing.
Income Protection Insurance: Insure your greatest asset – your earning potential! Paycheque protection pays when you are ill or injured. Best of all, rates haven’t changed since 1975!
Personal Accident Insurance: Accidents happen. Protect yourself with Member and Spouse Personal Accident Insurance that provides you with an economic safety net.
Office Overhead Expense Insurance: What happens to your business if an accident or illness leaves you temporarily disabled? Office overhead expense insurance helps pay the bills for your sole practice or partnership.