- College of Fellows Call for Nominations Deadline is 31 January 2020
- Awards of Excellence Submission Deadline is 24 January 2020
- National Urban Design Awards Deadline is 19 December 2020
- Governor General's Medal in Landscape Architecture Call for Nominations Deadline is March 27th, 2020
DEADLINE EXTENDED: CSLA and AALA Call for Abstracts for the 2020 Congress
The Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA) together with the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects (AALA) invite qualified experts to submit abstracts for oral presentations (concurrent sessions, 30 minutes in length) to be made at the upcoming 2020 CSLA-AALA Congress scheduled to be held in Calgary, Alberta, June 18-20, 2020. Presentations are scheduled on June 19th and 20th and we expect 300 to 400 delegates to be present.
The deadline is November 27th, 2019. Download the Call for Abstracts
CSLA Calls for Submissions for the 2020 Awards of Excellence Program
WY Garden (Winnipeg, MB) by Straub Thurmayr Landscape Architects, 2019 Jury’s Award of Excellence
The Awards of Excellence Program is intended to:
- recognize and promote excellence in all aspects of the profession
- communicate a strong awareness of the profession of landscape architecture to related professions, potential clients, and the general public.
The deadline for submissions is January 24th, 2020. Learn more...
Summary of the Decisions of the CSLA's November 2019 Board Meeting
- A management agreement between the CSLA and the LACF, beginning 1 January 2020, was endorsed.
- Cynthia Graham was appointed Chair of the Finance and Risk Management Committee for the period of November 2019 to November 2020.
- The CSLA Board extended its thanks to Arnis Budrevics for his extended period of service to the CSLA as Chair of the Finance Committee, and Finance and Risk Management Committee.
- The CSLA will maintain its IFLA membership in 2020 and instruct the IFLA delegate to continue monitoring the IFLA's governance.
- The CSLA IFLA delegate shall, going forward, fill two roles, as delegate to the IFLA World Council (WC) and delegate to the IFLA Americas Region (AR).
- And the annual budget for travel costs for the delegate will account for attendance at the annual meeting of each, as may be scheduled separately or as may be held in coordination with one another.
- Further that the IFLA delegate may send an alternative CSLA Board representative in their place, when necessary or when an alternative is attending under a different role.
- The CSLA will submit to the IFLA Exco and/or IFLA World Council a request that they change the current schedule of the World Council AGM and International Congress from an annual event to a bi-annual event (effective after the 2021 events for which planning has already begun). This change is necessary to reduce the organization’s carbon footprint in response to the Climate and Biodiversity Emergency Declaration; and the CSLA will make this request known to the other IFLA national and regional member associations and encourage them to do the same.
- The Strategic Plan Committee for 2021-2023 is instructed to include the Landscape Architecture and Health plan in the 2021-2023 Strategic Plan.
- The Cultural and Historic Landscapes Committee was established and its responsibilities to include the Legacy Project Award and monitoring cultural and historic landscapes as proposed.
- The Student Award of Excellence Program was approved.
- The APALA Video Communication Project was approved in the component grant program for 2019.
- The CSLA endorsed the concept of Board Champions and the guidelines will included in the Board Manual.
- The October 2019 Board Manual revisions were approved.
- The 2020 budget was approved.
MANITOBOGGAN Wins Awards
Manitoboggan, the universally-accessible toboggan slide and lookout tower at St. Vital Park in Winnipeg, has won an International Olympic Committee (IOC) Award for exemplary architecture and an International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Award for barrier free design in sports and recreation
The MANITOBOGGAN, the toboggan shelter and slides at St. Vital Park in Winnipeg designed by PUBLIC CITY ARCHITECTURE, has won two awards for exemplary architecture from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), and the International Association for Sports and Leisure Facilities (IAKS). The awards were announced at a ceremony in Cologne, Germany on November 5, 2019.
MANITOBOGGAN has been presented with an IPC IAKS Distinction and an IOC IAKS Bronze Award.
Call for Abstracts for the IFLA World Congress in Malaysia
The IFLA2020 World Congress will be held in Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia from 13th until 15th of August 2020. It is a great global platform that brings together landscape architects and those from related industries and academia to exchange knowledge and expertise in improving the built environment within the natural systems.
The IFLA2020 World Congress is proud to invite esteemed professionals, government agencies, academics, researchers, NGOs, and students to present their latest projects, achievements, findings, policies, community engagements and others. Presenters shall share how their projects, research or initiatives solve issues related to any of the four sub-themes under the theme: Future Tense.
Call for submission is now open until 17 January 2020.
City of Montreal Launches a Multidisciplinary Urban Design Competition for the Redevelopment of Avenue McGill College into a Public Square
Located in the heart of downtown Montréal, in an area experiencing rapid growth thanks to the redevelopment of Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, the city’s largest commercial thoroughfare, and to the arrival of the Réseau express métropolitain (REM), the new light-rail transit network that will include a connection between the airport and downtown, the Avenue McGill College square is aimed at offering Montrealers a new public space worthy of the 21st century.
The city wishes to transform this iconic avenue, which spans an area of 16,000 square metres, into a relaxing, people-friendly space where nature flourishes between two Montréal landmarks, from Mount Royal to Place Ville Marie.
For further information on the competition, click here
Call for Proposals - 21st Edition of International Garden Festival, Grand-Métis, Canada
International Garden Festival / Reford Gardens
Deadline for submissions: November 25, 2019
The International Garden Festival, presented at the Jardins de Métis / Reford Gardens in the Gaspésie region of Québec, Canada is preparing its 21st edition and is issuing an international call for proposals to select designers who will create the new temporary gardens that will be presented from June 19, 2020. For its 21st edition, the Festival has chosen Métissages as its theme.
The Canadian Landscape Charter Goes on a Road Trip in 2019 - Sponsored by Equiparc
Are you interested in discussing the Canadian Landscape Charter? Its applicability? Its reach?
Join Jean Landry in discussion during the Canadian Landscape Charter Tour Sessions, in partnership with CSLA component associations and Universities across Canada, to learn about the Charter and participate in an ongoing conversation about the recognition, management, protection, and celebration of Canada’s landscapes.
Call for Entries for WLA Awards
WLA has opened the call entries for the 2020 WLA Awards, the annual international landscape architecture awards that seek to honour landscape architects around the world.
The WLA Awards are in their fourth year and past winners include Sasaki, dwg., LANDPROCESS, OJB Landscape Architecture, MKSK, Stoss Landscape Urbanism, LandLAB + Monk McKenzie, SLA, PLACE, Rogers Partners, ASDISKY, Ken Smith Workshop, Turf Design Studio & Environmental Partnership, and more.
Early Bird registration is open for Adaptation Canada 2020 – Raising our Game on Resilience.
This is Canada’s national conference on climate change adaptation, coming to Vancouver February 19-21, 2020 and hosted by the Fraser Basin Council. Secure your spot now through December 2 to SAVE $75!
Join friends and colleagues from across Canada for three intensive days of learning, networking and exploring climate adaptation challenges and solutions – with a choice of over 60 sessions across 8 tracks.
Don’t miss out on this event! Visit ADAPTATIONCANADA2020.CA .
National Urban Design Awards: Call for submissions
The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC), the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP), and the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA) are pleased to announce that entries are now being accepted for the 2020 National Urban Design Awards (NUDA).The deadline to submit online is December 19th, 2019.
LACF Calls for Grant Proposals
The deadline for submissions is 15 November 2019. Learn more...
Donate now and become a member of LACF by making a gift of $100 or more. Help support our mission of advancing and promoting the values of the profession of Landscape Architecture through research, communication and scholarship. Donate now...