Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re designed and built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
Stantec’s Urban Places is an interdisciplinary hub bringing together leaders in urban design, urban planning, transportation including smart and urban mobility, resilience, development, mixed-use architecture, smart cities, and brownfield redevelopment. We work with clients across the globe—in cities and suburbs alike—to unlock the extraordinary urban promise of enhanced livability, equity, and resilience.
As the Urban Places Planning and Urban Design Leader for Canada, you will have the opportunity to work on projects such as downtown revitalization plans, resiliency plans, transportation corridors, streetscapes, and transit-oriented developments. Our unique Urban Places team specializes in urban design; integration of architecture; street design; public space design; and sustainability with urban planning; as well as integrated mobility planning. The ideal candidate can thrive in a rapidly changing environment and is innovative while finding creative solutions to support our growing team. Centered in Toronto, our Canadian Urban Places team works across the country to advance the overall team’s objectives. We connect the people, places, and resources that take a project from concept to reality.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead urban design and urban planning within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) for our Urban Places team.
- Increase the visibility of urban planning and urban design within the GTA and beyond.
- Work with other local disciplines in the GTA, including buildings, architecture, transportation, power and energy, landscape architecture, and civil engineering to deliver high quality design projects. Collaborate with planners, buildings architects, mobility planners, and landscape architects to develop and advance urban places thought leadership both in Canada and as part of the larger Urban Places initiative globally.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the design team and provides leadership/mentorship to the team including training and development, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, and interpreting and ensuring consistent application of firm standards.
- Make decisions and recommendations regarding employment decisions such as staff selection, hiring, pay, promotion, transfer, demotion, or termination.
- Lead all aspects of the project development cycle including client engagement, preparing fee proposals, and project delivery.
- Engage regularly with key clients to discuss current projects and evaluate firm performance, as well as identify other business opportunities either with current clients or through referrals, focusing on business development efforts and strategic pursuits.
- Create master plans and consult on planning policy to support sustainable communities and urban places.
- Collaborate with local disciplines in the GTA, as well as leadership in both Canada and the larger Urban Places initiative globally, including architecture, buildings engineering, transportation, power and energy, landscape architecture, civil engineering, and urban and mobility planners. Work together to deliver high quality design projects, as well as to develop and enhance our thought leadership across the company.
- Participate in the larger Urban Places leadership team for coordination of virtual Urban Places staff resources across North America
- Perform other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Technical expert in all relevant areas of design and understanding of various design methods.
- Highly effective in building and maintaining client relationships. Proven ability to translate those relationships into winning opportunities
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop strong internal relationships, fostering a culture of collaboration.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal, and design requirements with significant local jurisdictional experience and established contacts.
- Mastery of project management.
- Proficient in relevant drafting/design software such as AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Acrobat.
Education and Experience
The minimum education requirement is a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Architecture, Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, or related field. Prefer APA, AIA, or PLA certification. Minimum of 10 to 15 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required, such as delivering and presenting plans or documents to reviewing agencies or clients; to attend meetings; to attend conferences to make presentations or participate in forums; or to participate in business development meetings and meetings of key Urban Places leadership. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites, and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on the talents of each other, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.