CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full-time Unionized opportunity in the
Parks Infrastructure Planning & Development Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Parks Planner I – Parks and Open Space Planning
JOB # J0321-0910
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, a state-of-the-art hospital opening its doors in 2021 – the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, and a bustling subway, exciting projects are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, we are an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, we continuously employ workplace best-practices – and they’re getting noticed! Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow.
Responsible for participating in short-term and long-term planning of the Parks and Open Space System to meet the city-wide outdoor recreational needs of the community. Reviews development applications for urban intensification areas, infill and greenfield development projects, providing guidance to applicants and consultants regarding compliance with City standards. Supports the preparation and management of request for proposals for City projects, helps with public engagement and outreach tasks, and assist with the development of Official Plan policies, master plans and special studies. Assists with preparing the parks and open space components of development agreements including conveyance conditions, access easements, servicing requirements and letter of credit administration, and responsible for providing on-site inspections, approvals and reviews as required. Responds to inquiries, resolves/refers complaints and acts as a liaison between City departments and external agencies as required.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Landscape Architecture, Urban or Regional Planning, Recreation Planning or a related discipline.
- Minimum of one (1) year related experience in park planning, land use planning or recreation planning, with municipal experience as a preference.
- Eligible for membership in a related professional association such as Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI) and/or Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA).
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- A high level of skill in research, analysis, problem solving, oral and written communications, and interpersonal relations.
- Knowledge of land-use planning, official plans, secondary plans, zoning by-laws and city-wide initiatives, preferably in parks and recreation. In addition, familiarity with relevant Federal and Provincial policy and legislation, notably the Ontario Planning Act.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public, staff, community groups, developers and other levels of government.
- Demonstrated organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications and experience with AutoCAD, Adobe software, SketchUp, and GIS is considered an asset.
- Valid class “G” driver’s license and a reliable vehicle for use on Corporate business.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please visit our website to apply online by Wednesday April 14, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised, the City of Vaughan uses email to communicate with applicants for open job competitions.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.