Manager, Parks & Open Spaces Design & Development
At the City of Kitchener, we believe Parks and Open Spaces build belonging and creates a sense of community. From working to ensure we get open space and parks built right into our rapidly growing communities, to responding to the challenges of intensification on parkland space, to working directly with our residents and partners through innovative solutions like Love My Hood, we are consistently striving to provide our residents with the very best in parks and open spaces.
We need a Manager to lead an established team in shaping our park rehabilitation program, community trails program, renewing our outdoor sports and recreation infrastructure, responding to community open space needs and delivering a multi-million dollar annual capital program.
- A visionary leader, mentor and coach with a minimum of a 4 year degree and 4 or more years of experience.
- Able to implement strategic priorities in innovative ways
- A project manager who can lead multiple projects with a range of scope and scale
- A collaborative team player able to work across divisions and departments
- Excited to help deliver an ongoing and exciting program of community engagement
You might be interested in this role if:
- You have a passion for connecting people with their outdoor environment
- You are committed to high standards of public space design
- You are an experienced leader and excited by the challenge of leading transformational change
- You thrive in a fast paced environment
- You have a keen appreciation of the long term operational needs for parks & open space's
- Directly oversee a team of 11 staff responsible for design, development and project management of an annual capital works program in parks and open space planning
- Provide leadership and mentoring to staff in the team
- Be able to lead and develop process, practice and policy in the section to support project delivery and success and lead an efficient and effective team
- Manage, be responsible for works within and influence an annual capital budget of between $5M - $10M
- Coordinate and ensure consistency of response to a plans of subdivision, site plan and development related applications as they impact trails, forestry and parks and open spaces
- Provide oversight and leadership for a complex program of projects; the team can be working on as many as 200 projects at a time of various scales
- Provide excellence in communications, both written and verbal, to the Director, other teams, divisions and departments and members of the public.
- Contribute toward the delivery of messages to Council through both written reports emails and verbally
- Provide leadership is establishing high quality engagement and consultation with communities
- Deliver a range of parks and open space design functions in collaboration across City divisions and departments that are aligned with various strategies to include (but not limited to) the Parks and Open Space Strategy, Sustainable Urban Forest Strategy, The Cycling and Trails Master Plan, the Leisure's Facilities Master Plan and other such strategies as developed from time to time.
For details on how to apply, please visit www.kitchener.ca/employment.
Posting Closing date: January 19th, 2020
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy #II-110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":
"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students."
Candidates may be required to complete testing as part of the recruitment process, as it relates to the requirements of this position.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.