The City of Victoria is recruiting for an exciting opportunity as Manager of Parks Design and Construction, a position best suited for a strategic leader with a proven track-record in managing a high-performing team. Our ideal candidate will bring exceptional communication skills, innovative ideas and strong leadership to a team responsible for administering our park related design work, project management, renewal programs, asset management, and strategic planning.
The Manager of Parks Design and Construction works closely with colleagues across the organization, as well as external stakeholders, to effectively manage a diverse portfolio of 137 parks and open spaces.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND KEY CONTACTS
The Manager reports directly to the Assistant Director of Facilities Management. The position oversees the work of the design and construction teams which is comprised of approximately 20 staff.
This position works closely with other stakeholders within the organization, including staff representatives of Parks, Recreation, Public Works and Engineering, Finance, Human Resources, Real Estate, Legal, as well as external stakeholders.
- Develops and implements maintenance and operational plans that result in safe, high quality park spaces and infrastructure
- Develops short, medium and long-term strategies, operating plans, targets and measures for the division
- Provides subject matter expertise to senior management
- Identifies solutions to barriers/issues/opportunities and develops strategies to optimize service delivery and resource utilization
Leadership and Management
- Oversees the delivery of park infrastructure maintenance and repair programs, and asset management plans
- Provides leadership on projects, and collaborates with colleagues and stakeholders to deliver high quality results
- Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies
- Achieve results and deliver on commitments
- Lead by example, with openness to new ideas, and transparency in decision-making
- Support staff within the division, through professional development, training, coaching, and performance management
- Anticipates and analyzes trends, and investigates opportunities to improve effectiveness
- Facilitate an environment of collaboration, teamwork and innovation within the division
- Provide leadership in the event of emergencies, or other special events as required
- Provide effective oversight on work involving contractors and consultants, such as reviewing reports, administering contacts, performance, and deliverables
- Demonstrate the highest standard of professionalism, work ethic and integrity
Policies and Practices
- Accountable for the teams compliance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations and all other regulatory requirements
- Develops and maintains policies and practices to support effective maintenance, repair and operational standards for park infrastructure
- Manages service-level agreements with external agencies and organizations
- Establishes/updates service standards, ensures quality and takes corrective action as necessary
- Recommends policy updates as required
- Prepares and manages capital and operating budgets Monitors key performance indicators, and reports to stakeholders as required
- Develop project cost estimates and budgets
- Manage project financials and other resource requirements
Perform other related activities as required
Bachelors Degree in Landscape Architecture or Urban Planning or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
5-7 years of progressively responsible supervisor experience in a management capacity.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
All applications must be submitted to City of Victoria, Human Resources Department by 4:30 pm, on the closing date noted above. Please apply online at www.victoria.ca/jobs.