About the Opportunity
Our BC landscape architecture team is seeking an enthusiastic Landscape Architect or Landscape Designer to join our growing professional practice. Our inter-disciplinary design team is committed to delivering high quality work on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in communities throughout British Columbia and beyond. Our landscape architecture practice focuses on improving the quality of open spaces and communities in urban and remote settings. We are engaged in projects ranging from parks and open space master planning and design to site planning and design for First Nations communities, infrastructure projects, and stormwater management.
The person we are seeking will assist in all aspects of our projects, including the following:
- Project planning
- Site inventory and analysis
- Concept design
- 3D visualizations
- Detailed design and contract documents
- Cost estimates
- Construction administration
- Community engagement
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Determining project timelines and managing your workflow
- Communicating with team and project leaders
- Managing information related to project work
- Collaborating with project teams both internally and externally
- Advocating for the importance of the landscape architecture industry and assisting in raising the profile of the team
Our preferred candidate has 2 to 5 years of related experience and a university degree in Landscape Architecture. Experience in private practice is preferred, but not mandatory. In addition, we are looking for the following skills, strengths and interests:
- High level of proficiency in the following software
- AutoCAD (Land FX ideally)
- Microsoft Office for PC (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Sketchbook Pro
- Knowledge and experience in design, detailing, grading, construction specifications
- Strong graphic skills including experience using 3D modeling software; hand drawing skills are an asset
- A Class 5 BC Drivers license (required)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects while prioritizing deliverable deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with project teams as well as individually
- Enthusiasm to participate in a collaborative approach to design projects
- Passionate about the landscape architecture practice, design, drafting and illustration
- Commitment to expanding knowledge and skills
- Proactive in the achievement and development of personal and professional goals
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across 13 offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our landscape architecture team has over 20 members in offices throughout BC and in Calgary. We prefer that you join our office in Vancouver or Victoria, but we are open to other locations where we have landscape architecture team members. These include Courtenay, Kamloops, Fort St. John, and Golden. We will also consider a candidate living within one hour of any of these locations.
Due to COVID-19, the opportunity to work remotely and from home does exist, although, from time-to-time, we may need assistance with client work or face-to-face meetings when they are safe to resume. Therefore, the individual would need to reside within one hour of any of the listed locations above.
How to Apply
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
If this describes your background, skills and interests, please check out our website (https://grnh.se/5a6ee02b3us) for more information and submit your resume, cover letter and samples of your work.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 9:00 am PST