About the Opportunity
Our Calgary branch is seeking an enthusiastic, professional and motivated Landscape Architectural Technologist or Junior Landscape Architect / Designer to join our integrated design team for a permanent full-time position. Our landscape architects focus on improving the quality of open spaces and communities in urban and remote settings. We are engaged in projects ranging from parks and open space master planning and design to site planning for Local Government, Indigenous communities, new community development, infrastructure projects and stormwater management. As part of the Calgary team, you will be contributing your skills to our existing clients in Alberta and beyond.
The majority of your work will be focused on detailed design drawing production and construction related tasks including:
- Preparation of detail design drawings including custom construction details
- Preparation and review of construction specifications
- Aid in the preparation of tender documents and facilitating construction tenders
- Aid in the preparation of construction cost estimates
- Perform site inspections and attend construction meetings
- Support the preparation of conceptual design packages and visualizations
- Support the administration of construction contracts
- Collaborating with project teams both internally and externally
- Review and implement municipal guidelines and standards
- Advising the team on technical problems and troubleshooting potential solutions
Our preferred candidate will have 0 – 5 years of related experience in a LAT or Landscape Designer role and have a diploma in Landscape Architectural Technology or a university degree in Landscape Architecture. Experience in private practice is preferred, but not mandatory. In addition, we are looking for the following skills, strengths and interests:
- High level of proficiency in the following software
- Microsoft Office for PC (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Proficiency in Sketchup and Adobe Creative Suites or other graphic programs is an asset
- Knowledge and experience in technical detailing, drafting and construction specifications
- Experience working as or with a landscape contractor is advantageous
- A Class 5 Alberta Drivers license (required)
- Access to your own vehicle (required)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects while prioritizing deliverable deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with project teams as well as individually
- Enthusiasm to participate in a collaborative approach to design projects
- Passionate about the landscape architecture practice, design, drafting, illustration and construction
- Passionate about the landscape architecture industry and willingness to participate in advocacy events.
- Commitment to expanding knowledge and skills and proactive in the achievement and development of personal and professional goals
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450+ people, across 15 offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes, both large and small.
The Calgary branch office, located in the historic Victoria Park neighbourhood on the east side of downtown, offers a dynamic working environment. Our open concept design promotes collaboration with our diverse team of local consultants and our broader team set out across our various locations.
At Urban Systems, we feel our people are our most important asset. We make significant investments in our people and encourage them to take ownership of their careers so that they may thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart from the rest and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume, cover letter and samples of your work.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 10:00 am MST