As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
The Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC) is Vaughan’s new downtown in the making – an intense, dynamic community that will become the heart of the City – economically, culturally and physically.
As a Planning representative on the VMC Implementation Team, responsibility includes: undertaking, coordinating and facilitating the planning and urban design review of land development and municipal servicing projects; assists and contributes to City planning, engineering and urban design assignments related to City infrastructure projects in support and development of the VMC including secondary plans, master servicing plans and municipal infrastructure improvements; participates in development and cost sharing agreements and deliverables; develops project schedules and identifies project costs; researches planning precedents related to urban intensification; supports the formation of strategic work plans and requests for proposals to complete the City’s infrastructure and planning projects necessary to support development in the VMC; liaises and coordinates with other agencies, York Region, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), City Departments and the public in order to facilitate the timely delivery of development approvals in the VMC consistent with the strategic goals and objectives of the City.
Qualifications and experience:
- Successful completion of a University Degree in Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture and/or Urban Design from an accredited university and registered as a professional Planner with the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI) and Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) or Landscape Architect with the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA) and Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA).
- A minimum of five (5) years of related planning and urban design experience with
demonstrated experience in high density land development.
- Work experience must include extensive project management experience.
- Possesses or willingness to obtain a certification as a Project Management Professional
- A thorough knowledge of land use planning, land development and planning principles,
concepts, practices, methods, legislation and GTA context and roles of different levels of government.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage large planning and urban design
projects and possesses strong time management skills.
- Knowledge of planning, development and urban design standards.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications as well as proficiency with the
application of specialized software relevant to the technical specialty.
- Ability to identify issues, challenges and opportunities and propose solutions.
- Ability to negotiate/facilitate, build consensus and present information to varied
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively address
technical and non-technical matters.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license in good standing and reliable vehicle for use on
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please to apply online by Friday, September 7, 2018.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.