DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation
STATUS: Regular Full Time
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $83,696 - $99,036 annually
An exciting opportunity exists for a Parks and Open Space Planner with the City of New Westminster. Supporting both the Development Services and Parks, Culture and Recreation Departments, the successful incumbent will lead several key planning projects within the City. This is professional work involving the planning and design of parks and other green space or redevelopment of the same, as well as assisting in the review of development applications or institutional development initiatives as they relate to the public realm. The work involves researching, analyzing and interpreting information and providing recommendations and advice, including preparing long term policy plans; and developing conceptual site plans, specifications, cost estimates and tender documents. The work also involves research and analysis of urban forest management planning. The successful incumbent will prepare project plans to complement the assets of the current suite of parks and open space and reflect the needs and demands (current and future) of our diverse community. The successful incumbent will also liaise with other City departments on projects, and represent the department to a wide range of groups, including but not limited to community groups, development review committees, City advisory committees and City Council.
- A University Degree in Landscape Architecture or a related discipline, or University graduation in Urban Planning with considerable work experience in urban design, landscape architecture, municipal parks planning and development planning or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eligible for membership in the BC Society of Landscape Architects and/or Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Considerable knowledge of the best practices, principles and procedures applicable to park, open space and land use planning and design particularly at the city scale and local government level.
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in creating and applying urban design principles and design guidelines in the evaluation of park, open space and complex development projects.
- Considerable experience in the project management process leading to the implementation of parks and open space development projects and the creation of policy and planning documents.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with environmental, social and economic considerations in the evaluation of development projects.
- Advanced knowledge and proven experience in developing and implementing public consultation programs.
- Ability to be creative and exercise sound judgment in a fast paced work environment while managing multiple tasks.
- Advanced level of analytical and research skills.
- Ability to be highly self-directed and collaborative.
- Ability to facilitate discussions with various groups of people comprised of staff, the community and other City stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, professionals and the public, and to transmit clearly the principles and requirements of sound design, planning and development.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
This position participates in a Compressed Work Week program.
* City Hall hours of operation are Monday, 8am to 7pm, and Tuesday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Please note: the successful candidate will be scheduled on Mondays from 10:30am to 7pm on a rotational basis.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #18-123, by September 28th, 2018, to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.