2012 National Urban Design Awards recognize projects across the country
Architecture Canada | RAIC, the Canadian Institute of Planners, and the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects are pleased to announce the winners of the 2012 National Urban Design Awards in the following categories:
Urban Architecture - North Vancouver City Library (North Vancouver, BC) Diamond Schmitt Architects and CEI Architecture Planning Interiors, in joint venture
Urban Design Plans - East Village Master Plan (Calgary, AB) Broadway Malyan with Roland Berger Strategy Consultants
Urban Fragments - ESPA 2010 Mural Project (aka "Transition" Mural Project) (Edmonton, AB) Edmonton Small Press Association
Urban Fragments - Gathering Circle (Thunder Bay, ON) Brook McIlroy and Ryan Gorrie
Civic Design Projects - Canada's Sugar Beach (Toronto, ON) Claude Cormier + Associés and Waterfront Toronto, with The Planning Partnership
Civic Design Projects (Small Town) – Marché Lionel Daunais (Boucherville, QC) Sylvie Perrault architectes / Atelier Urban Face Inc
Civic Design Projects (Sustainable Award) - Sherbourne Common (Toronto, ON) Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg and Waterfront Toronto, with The Planning Partnership
Student Project - Feed Toronto: Growing the Hydrofields (Pickering, ON) Drew Adams / Fadi Masoud / Karen May / Denise Pinto / Jameson Skaife
The following are recognized with Certificates of Merit:
Urban Design Plans
• Toronto Avenues and Mid-Rise Buildings Study (Toronto, ON) Brook McIlroy and the City of Toronto with ERA Architects, Quadrangle Architects, Urban Marketing Collaborative
• VYR Vancouver International Airport (Richmond, BC) Sharp & Diamond Landscape Architecture Inc.
• Elm Street Four Unit Infill (Ottawa, ON) Jason C. Flynn Architect Inc.
• One Cole, Regent Park, Toronto (Toronto, ON) Diamond Schmitt Architects with Graziani + Corazza Architects Inc., NAK Design Group
Civic Design Projects
• Garden City Play Environment, City of Richmond (Richmond, BC) space2place design inc. with POD Design
• West Toronto Railpath (Toronto, ON) Scott Torrance Landscape Architect Inc. (Prime) Brown and Storey Architects Inc.
• Loose Change (Montreal, QC) (Rico) Chun Fung Law, Anne-Marie Desmeules, Aisha Sheikh
According to Liane McKenna, MBCSLA, FCSLA, CSLA President, “The 2012 National Urban Design Awards highlight the vital role played by the design community in building lively, safe and sustainable cities. Each project shows how our public life and urban spaces enhance our lives and how dramatic changes can emphasize their excellence.”
The RAIC, CIP and CSLA, in cooperation with Canadian municipalities, promote public and private awareness of urban design through this Awards program, which was established to recognize individuals, organizations, firms and projects that have contributed to the sustainability and quality of life in our Canadian cities.
The National Urban Design Awards will be presented at an award ceremony held during IIDEX NEOCON Canada Sept. 21, 2012 in Toronto at 3:30 p.m. at the Direct Energy Centre, IIDEX Keynote Speaker Theatre by representatives of RAIC, CIP and CSLA.
Descriptions and downloadable images of the winning projects and firms responsible are available at www.raic.org.
For more information
Sherbourne Common (Toronto)
Phillips Farevagg Smallenberg
2012 National Honour Award - Design / Honneur national 2012 - Design